Our new season starts on Thursday, 12th September, with a presentation called “Arming a Knight” by Jed Jaggard. He will demonstrate how knights were equipped, using historically accurate armour and weapons, which members of the audience will be able to examine for themselves.
Jed has a wide knowledge of historical warfare and is also an experienced performer – he played the role of Private Pike in Stamford Shakespeare Company’s production of “Dad’s Army”.
His talk starts at 7.30pm in the Conference Centre, Deepings School. Everyone is welcome. There is a £3 charge for non-members.
While medieval knights may seem a distant concept, there is evidence of Deeping men owning armour in Tudor times. William Tego kept a grocery shop, yet when he died in 1543, he had two suits of body armour “lacking a sallet” (without a helmet). Thomas Burton, who asked to be buried in the chancel of St Guthlac’s church after his death in 1566, bequeathed to his son a suit of armour for a horseman, a dagger and a handgun.
Another local man well equipped with weapons was William Atkinson, bailiff of the Manor of East & West Deeping, who collected rents and fees on behalf of William Cecil, the first Baron Burghley. Mr Atkinson was buried in the church porch at Market Deeping in 1590. He owned a poleaxe, a spear, two bows, a sheaf of arrows and a quiver, a bill (bladed infantry weapon), and a dagger. He also had a caliver – one of the earliest handguns with a standardised bore.
On Saturday, 21st September, everyone is warmly invited to a free exhibition in the Green School, Market Deeping, from 12 noon to 4 o’clock. We are celebrating the history of this typical village school, from 1851 until its closure in 1966.
The Green School and the separate Boys’ Endowed School further along Church Street, merged in 1942, but by 1966 had thoroughly outgrown their buildings, and were replaced by the current William Hildyard School.
Look at the many interesting documents – some relating to the Green School’s foundation and its purpose to teach girls “reading and plain needlework” and “the principles of the Established Church”. Discover how a rector’s wife insisted that no ink was allowed to be used by pupils. The Endowed School’s admission register is an interesting resource for family historians, revealing the names of several generations of scholars.
Enjoy the many photographs of pupils and teachers at the Green School from the 1920s onwards – a veritable treasure trove. This picture was taken in the School’s final year, 1966.
The exhibition doesn’t end there – In addition there will be a display of tools which pupils would have used while learning trades, after leaving school. This will include items relating to local clock making.
Alongside all that, will be tea and cake! Why not come and join us?