536 years ago this month, Richard III was facing a constitutional crisis as he journeyed south from Lincoln towards Grantham. At our meeting on Thursday, 10th October, John Manterfield of Grantham Civic Society will describe the dramatic events that led to the King holding court at The Angel Inn.
Now called the Angel & Royal Hotel, the facade of the building has changed little since the 15th century. This photograph from Historic England’s archives, was taken in 1899. The room where Richard discussed matters of state is now known as the “King’s Room Restaurant” and still has its original fireplace.
With Deeping being on the main route from London to Lincoln and holding markets since the 13th century, it is sure to have had a medieval inn in the Market Place. By 1563, The Bull was on its present site, with an inn called “The Crown & Chequers” nearby, and “The Swan” opposite on the river bank.
The earliest known description of a Market Deeping inn comes from Nathaniel Smith’s inventory in 1625. His possessions were listed room by room, showing that on the ground floor there was a hall (main living quarters) with a parlour next-door, a maids’ parlour, another one next to the gatehouse and a room for storing serving vessels. Upstairs was a great chamber, a long chamber, another one over the gatehouse, “the green chamber”, “the new chamber” and a room for storing malt. There was also a kitchen and brewhouse and cellar. There were 13 beds in the premises. Nathaniel was born in Deeping St James in 1591 and left bequests to the minister, Paramore Jones, and the poor of that parish, when he died aged about 34.
His widow, Margaret continued to run the inn, so that when she died in 1661, another record of its contents was made. Upstairs there was still “the green chamber”, but one of the others was intriguingly named “the world’s end chamber”. In the cellar were 22 hogsheads (casks) of beer – approximately 9,000 pints. She also owned 28 empty hogsheads, so at full capacity, the inn was brewing on a large scale, evidently serving travellers as well as the local community.
John Manterfield’s account of events at The Angel in Grantham, will be preceded by our short Annual General Meeting at 7.30pm in the Conference Centre, Deepings School. Everyone is welcome. There is a £3 charge for non-members.
Memories galore were shared at our Open Day in the Green School on 21st September. Several hundred people came to view the many photographs and memorabilia. These were enhanced by Robert Redshaw’s fascinating display of local farming and craft tools. Paintings by local artist John Mills, himself a former pupil, provided an opportunity to remember “old Deeping”.
Former pupils mingled together, some who had not met for over 60 years! There were recollections of the rocking horse in the porch, the tepid or frozen milk, drying wet clothes near the anthracite stoves … so many memories were shared. It was delightful to see Elaine, daughter of Mrs Johnson (nee Smith) who was Head Mistress from 1922 to 1942, returning with her family to share her own stories.
Deepings Heritage would love to hear more people’s memories to include in a future book – please email firstname.lastname@example.org.