At our meeting on Thursday, 13th February, we welcome back Peter Waszak who is a member of Peterborough Civic Society. His presentation will highlight changes to the city centre, both before and during the 1970s re-development, using photographs taken from the top of tall buildings. The event starts at 7.30 pm in the Conference Centre, Deepings School, and everyone is welcome. There is a charge of £3 for non-members.
This aerial photograph of Market Deeping, dating from about 1930, shows the village before modern housing expansion. In the foreground is Wherry’s Mill on Stamford Road – only the mill house now remains. The Market Place is on the right-hand side, with Church Street stretching across the centre. Running parallel, Godsey Lane can be seen beyond, with fields on both sides, and further in the distance, Linchfield Road crosses open countryside.
(Click on the photograph to increase its size)
A view from above the Peterborough road around 1950, shows Godsey Lane across the top right-hand corner, and north of Towngate Outgang the accommodation buildings of RAF Langtoft can be seen. These were demolished following closure of the radar station in the mid 1960s. Only the officers’ houses remain in Wellington Way, and the former NAAFI hut which is now used by Scouts.
Houses in “The Grove” leading off Church Street have not yet been built, and there is still a large orchard of fruit trees where “The Orchard” housing development took place in the late 1960s.
This photograph looking towards St Guthlac’s church, has Hall Farm and it’s outbuildings on the far left. The farmhouse had been built in 1907 to replace old Wake Hall Farm, and was itself demolished in 1989 to make way for “Hall Farm” housing estate.
The allotments shown behind houses on the west side of Church Street were built upon in the 1960s when “The Avenue” was constructed. This involved demolishing a bungalow and another small building next to No. 46 Church Street.
The final view is taken from Market Deeping’s only tall building, the church tower, looking south along Church Street towards the bridge. It dates from an era before motorised traffic, when a man and his dog, and two boys, could loiter in the middle of the road.